"I'm just so busy...not working, but busy playing, because work is play when it's something you like." -Andy Warhol

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Life's An Adventure...So take risks!

Visit The World According to Curly Girl here


I wish I had seen this Curly Girl design a few months ago. I've spent countless hours fretting about where I was gonna be and what I was gonna be doing come September. What I've  learned is that everything happens for a reason and everything always works out......my two favorite sayings ;)    (My apologies to all of you who were roped into my big life decision and who listened to me talk out the pros and cons of moving or staying .. your feedback and your listening ears mean more to me than you will ever know!).

Ultimately, taking risks has always been a part of my life. As I write this post, I can't help but think about senior year at SU and trying to make the decision to go to grad school or jump into the job interview process.  I kept my options open, and I can still remember the summer my partner in crime, Julie, convinced me to head back to 'Cuse a month early than originally planned (for reasons we can laugh about now). I told my parents I was going to spend the time filling out grad school apps in a quiet place like the library (HAHA!) Well, we did spend one afternoon
filling out applications (at our dining room table) and we even visited Columbia one day in the city but I never did complete those applications.  Instead, I made plans to go on interviews up and down the East coast and even more phone interviews for jobs in San Fran and Arizona. I knew it was a risk to expect a job placement as a young teacher in our economy but I was determined to take a risk and go wherever life took me. There are times when I wish I could go back to that time in my life because life didn't seem so scary and it was much easier for me to take a risk, pick up my stuff and go (nothing was holding me back).

Fast forward a year and the same thoughts were racing through my head. The months of April and May were spent going on interview after interview for a permanent position (the competition was fierce!) I was miserable and stressed (sorry for those of you who had to deal with me!) and just wanted to know where I was going to be in September so I could start planning my life. The thought of having to start over again in a new school, in a new grade, as the new teacher scared the heck out of me. At one point I said forget it, I'm moving back home, I'll get my masters degree and worry about a job later.  I feel safest at home and it was the easy choice to make. Then, while on a field trip with my class to the thousand islands, a few parents pulled me aside and had some very kind words to say to me. For me, earning the respect and approval of your students parents is extremely important and I take it very seriously. Their words were so reassuring and I knew I was meant to teach and was not going to make the easy choice of returning home. That week, I had a few job placement opportunities and had to make a decision fast. After those conversations, I knew where my heart was and where I was meant to teach. It would certainly be a risk (but one I'm definitely willing to take) and I can only hope that it's going to be an adventure along the way :)

Thank you sooo much to all of you who have helped me along the way over the past few months. I am forever grateful!

I knew I'd made the right decision when these notes
were on my desk the last day of
school.

I never would've guessed that I'd be a 6th grade teacher
but I wouldn't change it for the world!

Until next time...

xoxo Christina Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment